Skip to main content
Share this page
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Evolving Strategies in Economic Recovery and Resiliency
As more and more of our IEDC volunteers during the past 20 years have participated in recovery efforts, there has been increased discussion of the need for resilience and mitigation strategies (building back stronger, strategic planning, economic diversification, regional strategies).
In this free workshop, we will discuss strategies economic developers have employed in economic recovery and in economic resilience in the short-term (Year 0-1,) medium term (Year 1-5) and long-term (year 5-20). Together as a group we will seek to define “what is resilience,” or “resiliency” and the key role it plays in post disaster recovery sustainability. The term is widely used but definitions differ. We expect there will be local variation. We expect to learn new strategies from one another.
The forum will feature special presentations and group discussions around recovery, resilience and mitigation at different periods of time following the disaster from volunteers and economic developers from communities that have been hit. All participants should come prepared to talk about the unique economic challenges and strategies they are using to steer the communities they advise or meet the challenges and strategies in their own communities - and to ask questions for which answers have been difficult to find.
What you will learn:
- How to balance response to short-term economic recovery needs and longer-term economic resilience strategies
- How to conceptualize and implement resilience strategies
- Best practices and lessons learned from other disaster-stricken communities.
Featured Moderators/Speakers Include:
- Mickie Valente, MBA, President, Valente Strategic Advisers, LLC, Saint Petersburg, FL
- John Zakian, Disaster Resilience Grant Program Manager & Chief Resilience Officer at City of Minot, ND
- Sue Southon, Senior Technical Specialist, ICF
- Rodrick Miller, CEO, Invest Puerto Rico
- Representative from Economic Development Administration, TBA
10/16/2019 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
JW Marriott, 101 & 102 10 S West Street Indianapolis 46204
Keep me signed in
Create a new account